Are you familiar with hashtags? If you know anything about Twitter, you probably know they originated there back in 2007. More recently, hashtags on Facebook, have made their grand debut.
Initially, I didn’t know how this would play out. I was one of the people who would get annoyed seeing hashtags on Facebook when clearly, it was a “Twitter thing”. What made them so irrelevant was the fact that they really served no purpose there.
Now that the tables have turned, I’m totally on board!
Why Use Hashtags on Facebook
If you are an entrepreneur or small business owner using Facebook as a platform to grow your business, you know how vital it is to spread the word. Using hashtags on Facebook can help you increase brand awareness and even generate you more traffic to your fan pages and websites.
Create Brand Awareness
Did you know you can create your own hashtags to represent your brand?
When I post to Facebook on a topic related to my business, whether it is on my personal profile or fan page, I can use my personal hashtag – #MarketingHerWay. This creates an entire feed dedicated to my hashtag. When people click on it, they will be taken directly to my feed and can read all the posts related to MarketingHerWay.
Each hashtag has its very own unique URL.
You can also search hashtags right from your search bar by typing a specific word or phrase with the hashtag (#) symbol in front of it.
Create Industry Awareness
Are you using hashtags to represent the industry you are in?
For instance, as a consultant, I teach others in the area of online marketing. I can now use the hashtag, #OnlineMarketing, in my Facebook posts and comments to engage and interact with others interested in online marketing.
Exploring hashtags in your industry is a great way for you to stay up-to-date with the latest information you can share with your audience, establish relationships with other industry leaders and build your social influence.
Leverage Your Facebook Content
If you have a blog, you can also incorporate your hashtags into your posts by using the Embedded Post feature. Putting your Facebook updates on your blog are a great way to drive traffic back to your fan page and familiarize your audience with your hashtags.
Take a look at how this embedded Facebook post allows your blog readers to interact with you and engage on Facebook, from your blog:
Helpful Hashtag Tips
- Even though hashtags are not yet available on mobile devices, you still can include them when posting from your phone. They will be visible to those using Facebook from a desktop or laptop.
- Don’t over do it. To many hashtags make your post appear irrelevant or even spammy. Think strategically and have a goal for what purpose you are using the hashtags for in the first place. No more than 3 will get the job done.
- Always consider using hashtags on Facebook that will resonate with your target audience.
- Group phrases together and capitalize the first letter in each word for easier reading. (ex. #MakeMoneyFromHome)
- Select a handful in your industry and use them consistently. Don’t get in the habit of using random hashtags. The more targeted they are to your market and industry, the better awareness you can generate.
- Hashtags on Facebook will only be visible in posts that are made public.
As you can see, using hashtags to maximize your social marketing can really help you leverage your efforts, full circle. Use them to brand your business, grow your fan page and encourage traffic to your blog or website.
What ways have you discovered to be useful when using hashtags on Facebook? Share in the comments below…